Trail Review: Hathaway's Pond, Hyannis, MA

Hathaway's Pond is a small freshwater pond and beach area in Hyannis, MA.  It also happens to have a nice 1.0-1.1 mile trail running loop that goes all the way around it.  Recently I was back vacationing on Cape Cod visiting my wife's family and wanted to trail run locally.  While I knew a couple of places to do so on Cape, they would be a drive, which in summer traffic might take some time I didn't really have or want to waste.  But a relative mentioned the loop around Hathaway's Pond.

Since I typically get up early to run and the gate to the area was locked, I parked about 1/2 mile away at a local strip mall, outside of the Dunkin' Donuts.  Once I got into the area and started running the trail, I found various offshoots (which you could add to lengthen and explore), but eventually figured out the main loop.  It has just enough small rollers, rocks, and roots to keep you honest as you run around the pond.  While short, it is a nice alternative if you are staying in the mid-Cape area.  Very accessible and very few people out, mostly just people walking their dogs.

Enjoy the link above and if you're out that way, do a loop for me! :)