Product Review: Runner's Tea, Citrus Mint

Back in September I gave a review of the Ginger Berry Runner's Tea that I had been using on my long runs in training for my second go at TNF ECS WI Trail Marathon.  Later that same week, I cruised to a 10 minute 4 second PR over the prior year.  The Runner's Tea was my fluid of choice, worked well for me, and continues to even as I enter into an early winter training period.  Now having had the chance to try out the company's other flavor, citrus mint, a few thoughts.


Again, as with the ginger berry, (Product Review: Runner's Tea, Ginger Berry), the citrus mint Runner's Tea is a loose leaf tea, meaning that you need to brew it using a tea infuser, French press, or, in my case, an English Brown Betty, an example of which you can find here: 2 Cup English Brown Betty.  The citrus mint tea also has the interesting sage green color right out of the bag but when brewed, as opposed to the ginger berry which comes out more reddish/maroon, this tea stays green like in the packet.

Also, in contrast to the ginger berry, the citrus mint is less sweet, and almost has a slight kick.  (I'm guessing this comes from the combination of ingredients, including ginger root and cayenne pepper.  I like it!)  It smells of a refreshing lemony-minty blend as you'd expect.  However, the mint aroma smells of true actual mint as opposed to fake mint flavoring found in many drinks at this time of the year.  This led to another realization that was key for me and even my wife noticed it...this mint actually did what it was suppose to do, settle well upon my stomach and keep it calm.  Lots of times, if I have something mint flavored, I will actually end up with a slight case of heartburn.  That does not happen with citrus mint Runner's Tea and again points to the fact that they use high quality ingredients instead of cheap substitutes.  

Even at this time of the year I still brew it the night before my long run so that I can take it with me to increase my endurance and keep my stomach calm during the run.  (Last week this actually resulted in a citrus mint Runner's Tea slushie as my bottle froze during my two hour run!  Yummy, but a little hard to get out while running in such cold weather!  Some of it ended up in my winter beard I think!)  
Again, another awesome product, smells great getting prepped, and tastes great going down.  Settles well and works good whether you drink it before or during the run.  The full list of ingredients: matcha green tea powder, ginger root, orange peel, peppermint leaf, lemongrass, lemon balm, ginseng, natural orange oil, and cayenne pepper.  All organic and gluten-free.

As a disclaimer, I am a Runner's Tea ambassador, but also, as a benefit, being an ambassador means I can give you a 10% discount.  Let me know if you are interested and I can DM or e-mail it to you. 

Check out the Runner's Tea at www.runnerstea.myshopify.com/

Make sure to also check out these posts about the tea:




Drink up, enjoy, and go run!!! :)