Product Review: Zensah, Ultra Compression Leg Sleeves

The Zensah Ultra Compression Leg Sleeves in Neon Yellow!

Disclaimer: I received a pair of Zensah Ultra Compression Leg Sleeves as part of being a BibRave Pro.  Learn more about becoming a BibRave Pro (ambassador) and check out BibRave.com to review, find, and write race reviews!

Three weeks ago I received a pair of Zensah Ultra Compression Leg Sleeves to review as part of being a BibRave Pro.  A day or two after I received the leg sleeves I was able to try them as a recovery aid post-race.  While the race was just a small 10K trail race, it was the first race of the season and run on snowpack, so my legs were actually quite tired afterwards.  In addition, we were going out that night to the symphony and it was also the same weekend we moved the clocks forward an hour. Talk about a perfect storm for making you exhausted when you have to speak twice the next morning!

Rockin' the Zensah Ultra Compressin Leg Sleeves after racing the Freezin' for a Reason 10K in Garrison, IA.

The first thing I noticed was that the leg sleeves are a little hard to put on being so tight.  That's not too much of a surprise though, as often the first time someone uses a new piece of compression wear, they have to learn how to slowly and carefully get the garment fitted right.  After I got them over my size 13 feet and onto my calves, I did not notice until later that I actually had them on backwards, as you will note from the above picture.  Realizing this, I fixed them and continued wearing them for several hours, including at the symphony, (under my jeans)!

Honestly, you do not even notice they are on your legs.  They are like wearing a second skin.  They fit snugly, but in no way caused restriction or pain.  My calves felt great, and I actually felt pretty good the next day, enough that I could easily handle my work schedule of speaking twice in the morning and then coming home to do things with the family in the afternoon.  I used the sleeves 2 more times in this way, each after my longest, hardest runs of the last couple of weeks.  They are definitely a great recovery aid.

Others however might be more prone to use them on a long run, and that would make great sense, and I'd expect that they would work very well, and similar to compression socks.  While I did not use them during one of my runs, especially as we are still coming out of winter right now, I did use them this morning during a workout routine in my basement.  Again, you hardly notice that they are on and they performed very well, keeping my calves strong, and actually warm too since it's pretty cold right now in my basement!  

Doing a stretch with my Zensah Ultra Compression Leg Sleeves this AM.

I mentioned on Twitter that I would be posting this review and if anyone had questions, to let me know.  One question that came up from a follower in California was "Are leg sleeves the same as arm sleeves?"  I replied that not typically as they are so different in shape.  However, I did do due diligence to just make sure I was correct by checking out the Zensah.com website.  I was correct, but I also found something that might be a dream come true: I kept thinking while I was using the sleeves on my calves, how awesome it would be to have these things for my thighs, especially after a hard, long trail run...BAM!  They do have them!!! Here's the link: Zensah Thigh Compression Sleeves!

Now, Zensah, can I get a pair of these to try out and review?  :)