Product Review: First Impressions of the Mizuno Wave Rider 18




Hey!  Guess what arrived in the mail today? 
Disclaimer: I received a pair of Mizuno Wave Rider 18s as part of being a BibRave Pro.  Learn more about becoming a BibRave Pro (ambassador) and check out BibRave.com to review, find, and write race reviews!

Hey, just got back from a quick 4 mile run, and it was faster than expected.  I took out the new Mizuno Wave Rider 18s that I received as being a Bibrave Pro Ambassador and wanted to give just a few quick, initial thoughts.

They are light.  Primarily I am a trail runner, and I haven't bought or run in a pair of road shoes since sometime last summer.  That said, I have had periods in my life, where I focused more on the roads and specifically short (5K) type racing.  These are lite.  I am a size 13.  Check out the weight below for that size...

Yeah, size 13 men's Mizuno Wave Rider 18s...11oz!
That may not seem lite to some of you smaller runners, but for me, they felt extremely lite, especially compared to running in trailrunners.  They were also fast.  I mostly train for endurance and longer distances, so I am not out pushing speed like I was when I was seeking to lower my 5K times back a few years ago.  I could see keeping these aside for racing a local 5K on the roads, or even a gentle trail race, like crushed limestone.  I ran about 1.85 of my 4 miles on gravel and they held up fine. These do have less stability in them than I would normally require, but I can definitely see putting them to selective good use in speed sessions, recovery runs, and short distance, not technical racing on roads or gentle trails.  More later!!!  (P.S. Loved the red fade to black look.)

These just look sharp!!!