Running Motivation: Helping Africa Overcome H2O and AIDS/HIV Struggles

The top at Grotto Falls, Bozeman, MT
Back when the temperatures were close to 75F-100F degrees cooler, what we know as sub-arctic winter in Iowa, I took some time to consider how my running miles would count in 2015.  Running is such a solo activity, yet it never needs to be about us alone.  Whether it is a race that supports a charity, or a running group that volunteers to help it's local cross-country team, runners have lots of ways to reach out to others.  

One of the great things I love about the charitable organization I choose to raise money for this year, BLOOD:WATER, is that I can use my talents and gifts to help others as best reflects who I am and what I love to do.  In other words, I don't have to fit into a cookie cutter mold.  My goal and my desire can come from within my heart and soul.  

Shortly after I made my goal of running 1200 miles in 2015 and raising $3000 for BLOOD:WATER, I was featured in one of their blog posts: 1200 Miles for Africa.  I choose BLOOD:WATER because there are 320 million people in Africa who do not have access to safe, clean water and more than 25 million of those in Sub-Saharan Africa are HIV-positive.  Clean water and a healthy body are two important things that many of us runners can easily take for granted.  But, travel to a third world country, and you are quickly faced with the fact that clean water and good health are not always readily available.  

What's really neat about BLOOD:WATER is that they work from within the local communities through those who are already making real change from the grassroots up!  They specifically partner with these groups for at least 3 years or more.  Check it out: The BLOOD:WATER Approach.


Water is such a precious commodity we can easily take for granted.  Grotto Falls, Bozeman, MT.
I want to be honest about something: I hate manipulative practices/cliches/speeches that make people feel guilted into giving money to an organization.  I have never felt that with BLOOD:WATER and do not want you to either.  If you can and want to make a donation to my fundraising, I would greatly appreciate it and certainly those in Africa where the money is applied will be blessed.  I pray that whether you give or not, God will bless you, and thanks for taking time to read this post!