Product Review: First Impressions of the SPI H2O Venture Series Hydration Belt

Trail Running Faith


Posted: 03 May 2016 10:49 AM PDT
The SPI H2O Venture Series Hydration Belt components.

Disclaimer: I received a SPI H20 Venture Series Hydration Belt to review as part of being a BibRave Pro.  Learn more about becoming a BibRave Pro (ambassador) and check out BibRave.com to review, find, and write race reviews!


Today I went out on my first run with a SPIbelt I received to test and review. (SPIbelt stands for small personal item belt.) The idea of the SPIbelt is to have an easy, convenient way to carry small items like an ID, cell phone, keys, credit card, etc.   The SPIbelt is a great tool to use when you need a pocket, but don't have any of the particular gear you are running in that day, or if you need an extra pocket.  Since this is just a first impressions review, I will detail more fully the specifics of the belt on my complete review in the next couple of weeks.  However, let me note, that the Venture series hydration belt does have two 8oz bottles that attach to the belt.  

The bottle, plastic piece that holds it on the belt & finally the cap.
I had initial concerns as I prepped the SPIbelt last night when I first tried it on and found that the bottles slightly angle to the inside, meaning there might be a possibility for them to poke/rub against my body. However, during the run, I didn't really feel them in that way, although it was only a 5 mile run, so there might be possibility that could be a problem on a longer run.  What I did notice was, that when I shifted the belt around, (moving the belt so that the bottles I had placed in the back, turned around to the front so I could access them easier as well as the zippered pocket), the bottles moved and fell off.  I also noticed you need to make sure that you get them fully on the belt, or they fall off. This may just be first time usage, meaning that it's more my error than the way the belt and bottles are manufactured, we will see as I try them on more runs. Surprisingly, the bottles do not bounce if they are put on the belt correctly.   

The pocket on the belt is very spacious, and I fit in several of my pieces of my favorite ginger candy as well as a good sized granola bar.
So, a few picks, a few thoughts, and I will be back for more in a week or so with a fuller review. Plus, if you'd like to try out the Venture Series and get yourself a belt, you can take 10% off with this code: brad10.