Product Review: Amphipod Hydraform Ergo-Lite Ultra

The Amphipod Hydraform Ergo-Lite Ultra 20oz

"Disclaimer: I received an Amphipod Hydraform Ergo-Lite Ultra to review as part of being a BibRave Pro. Learn more about becoming a BibRave Pro (ambassador), and check out BibRave.com to review find and write race reviews!"

In all honesty, I've pretty much given up on handheld water bottles.  I find that they can be cumbersome and more of a nuisance than they are sometimes worth.  Oftentimes the outer pack/sleeve slips around/off and has little, if anything, in the way of storage. But, I had seen others I knew with Amphipod products in the past and always envied them a little bit.  So, when I got a chance to test one, I thought I'd at least give it the old college try.

The 20 oz Hydraform ergonomic bottle with Jett-squeeze cap.

One of the first things noticeable about the Amphipod products, which is why I wanted to give them a try, is the ergonomic bottle.  (As well as the space alien green color which I've always thought was cool!)  The shape of the bottle along with the Thumb-Lock, (a part of the strap to put your thumb through for better overall hand grip), is designed to help eliminate the hand cramping tension often found with many traditional handheld bottle systems. On my test runs, I won't say that it prevented all the tension, but it certainly lessened it a great deal and did seem like a more natural hand position in which to carry a bottle.  If you have any carpal tunnel symptoms that appear when you use a handheld and you'd still prefer to run with a handheld, then I would strongly advise trying the Amphipod products.


Another plus to the bottle is the Jett-Squeeze cap.  This is guaranteed not to leak and also eliminates the need to pull open the tip of the bottle or bite a valve.  You simply squeeze the bottle and drink.  

The bottle also has a very wide mouth which allows for easy access to mix in sports drink, add ice, or clean the bottle.  (And did I mention the cool space alien greenish yellow color?)





The outer sleeve for the handheld system fits the bottle snugly.  I will note, that while it is a little hard to get back onto the bottle when prepping for a run, this is a plus in the long run, because the sleeve grips that bottle for dear life!  It is not going to slip off, which is a huge plus during a longer run.  The sleeve is also insulated, so it helps keep the bottle cooler longer and your hands from getting so slippery and wet which can occur with other systems when ice melts or the humidity is something fierce!

The pocket on the sleeve is cavernous as you can see above and includes a key fob and ID pocket.  How cavernous?  Let's find out...Okay, I'm back.


I just stuck all this in the pocket of the Amphipod Hydraform Ergo-Lite Ultra pocket.


I just stuck in some cash, a car key, 2 band-aids, some salt tabs, a food packet, my phone, and a baker's dozen of Gin-Gins...and I probably could have added a few more.  Like I said, cavernous.  In addition, as you can see in the pic below, the hand strap has 3 quick access gel slots if you so desire to use them.  






Amphipod gives a lifetime guarantee covering defects in materials and craftmanship. Amphipod is definitely seeking to think outside the box, and has come up with a great alternative that I believe will work for many who may be struggling, (like myself), with some of the current handheld options out there.  Now go out and run!



From left to right: Sleeve, tags, bottle, Jett-Squeeze cap.  :)