Product Review: Luvo Entrees, including: Chicken Chile Verde, Chicken in BBQ Sauce, Tandoori-Inspired Spiced Chicken, Orange Mango Chicken, and Roasted Vegetable Lasagna





"Disclaimer: I received 5 Luvo, Inc entrees to review as part of being a BibRave Pro. Learn more about becoming a BibRave Pro (ambassador), and check out BibRave.com to review find and write race reviews!"

To be perfectly honese, I had never heard of Luvo, Inc., or their great tasting, awesomely made meals until I had the option to review them as part of being a BibRave Pro.  If you get a chance, go to their website at luvoinc.com and watch this cute, little video about how their company started: The Luvo Story.

Luvo meals come in a Steamazing pouch that aids in helping the meal cook evenly and lock in the various flavors.  I was glad to learn that while the Luvo entrees can be cooked in the microwave, they can also be cooked the more traditional way in the oven, which is my preference.  Luvo sources their ingredients from quality sources and 3 of the 5 entrees I received were gluten-free. None of them had any artificial colors, flavors, or sweeteners.  Pretty awesome!  


Luvo's Chicken Chile Verde w/Black Beans & Polenta

The first meal I had was Chicken Chile Verde with Black Beans & Polenta.  As Luvo notes, the food comes out of the bag plating well as if you were served in a fancy restaurant.  The first bite was tasty, with just a hint of spice, but mild.  The chicken was thoroughly cooked through and tasted like a true quality piece of actual chicken as opposed to many other frozen food meals. The polenta was nice and fluffy.  The beans and sauce helped bring out the flavor.  While not a huge meal at 300 calories, it was filling and quite good.  If I was ranking it 1 - 5, with 5 as the highest, I'd give this one a 5.  I would definitely buy this one again when I go shopping.


Luvo's Chicken in BBQ Sauce w/Millet Grits & Collard Greens

The second entree got to enjoy was the Chicken in BBQ Sauce with Millet Grits & Collard Greens.  Words like "grits" and "collard" might be fancy to some, scary to others.  I am not sure if I've ever had grits, but these were fine, if a little bland. Perhaps that's how grits are?  The collard greens were very good, and I wanted more of them, bummed a bit that some of them unfortunately stuck to the Steamazing bag in the cooking process and wouldn't come off/out.  The chicken was again, just like restaurant quality, wonderful.  This dish was very tasty and not too spicy.  I would probably buy this one again too, but would want the greens not to stick to the bag!!!  I think I'd give this one a 4.5.


Luvo's Tandoori-Inspired Chicken w/Mango, Brown Jasmine Rice, Broccoli & Cauliflower

The third entree I prepared and ate, I had for lunch as opposed to supper/dinner.  This one was a spicier dish, Tandoori-Inspired Spiced Chcken with Mango, Brown Jasmine Rice, Broccoli & Cauliflower.  This tasted to me like a good old Indian curry dish, yet the curry wasn't overpowering and the sauce wasn't heavy.  The chicken was, once again, high quality and the vegetables were steamed nicely.  The main hiccup was that the rice came out just a bit mushy.  Not very much so, just a bit.  Perhaps I over/under cooked it?  Not so troubling it ruined the meal.  Once again, I'd give this a 4.5.


Orange Mango Chicken waiting to go thru Steamazing!
Orange Mango Chicken w/Whole Grains, Broccoli & Kale

The fourth entree I tried was Orange Mango Chicken with Whole Grains, Broccoli & Kale.  This meal had actual slices of mango in it, which cooked perfectly and complimented the chicken well.  As always, the food tasted fresh from the fruit, to the meat, to all the vegetables and grains.  The kale and broccoli were a nice mix and the sauce was not too heavy or syrupy. It did not taste like the funky processed orange sauce that often accompanies many orange chicken dishes in restaurants.  A little bit of the quinoa & rice stuck to the bag, but otherwise it plated fine.  I would give this a 4.5 as well.


Roasted Vegetable Lasagna w/Butternut Squash, Whole Wheat Noodles & Kale

My final entree was a Roasted Vegetable Lasagna w/Butternut Squash, Whole Wheat Noodles & Kale.  (I have to say, I am so glad to try so many dishes that included kale.  I love kale.  We make kale chips all the time and my two youngest kids and I love them, usually inhaling them within minutes.)

Luvo's lasagna is just 250 calories!  It tasted great with several nice tender pieces of butternut squash. If my wife were here looking over my shoulder, she would express great surprise at that last comment.  I do not really care for squash, in fact growing up, I had a hate/hate relationship with it. Only now will I occasionally eat some pieces of sliced, roasted squash in some mixed vegetables. The squash Luvo included in this lasagna was actually tasty and very enjoyable as were the rest of the vegetables that made up this lasagna and there were at least 5 or more in addition to the squash.  Basil was also a major spice and complemented the whole meal nicely.  There was no greasy meat, heavy sauce, (though there was natural sauce from the tomatoes and vegetables), and just enough ricotta cheese.  Very mild, not too spicy.  I would give this a 4.5 too.

These are the best frozen meals I think I have ever had, period.  ( One 5 and four 4.5's I think proves that!) They are low calorie and taste amazing, due mostly to the quality pieces of meat, farm fresh tasting vegetables, and just the right amount of spice being perfectly cooked in the Steamazing pouch. Check out their website, Luvoinc.com where you can find some coupons to get started on a taste journey you will love when time is of the essence and you want a high quality meal.