Product Review: The Ginger People Gin Gins

The Ginger People Gin Gins come in several flavors including: (top row, L to R), Original, Peanut, Spicy Apple; (bottom row, L to R), Super Strength, Double Strength (Hard).
I have had the privilege since 2015 of being an Authentic Ginger Tastemaker for The Ginger People. One of their flagship products that I have been using for the last several years, even before I was able to be a product ambassador for them, is their great ginger candy, Gin Gins.  I continue to take and eat at least one Gin Gin on most of my runs and several during my long runs and trail races.  In addition to their great taste, (they come in several flavors), they are also great for helping with nausea. (Cf. Ginger and Nixing NauseaGinger Found to Ease Nausea of Cancer TreatmentGinger and Morning Sickness.)  That is key for long distance trail and ultra running where your stomach can turn on you at anytime.  

Now, how about the actual review of the product and taste!  I have had 6 of the Gin Gin flavors and enjoyed each one of them.  They are made of very few ingredients, (i.e., the original is simply cane sugar, ginger, and tapioca starch), and each have a slightly different yet wondrous ginger flavor.  Let me start with the only one I am currently out of because my teenage boys ate them all:

Coffee: Is there much more to say?  The coffee Gin Gins taste like a hot cup of coffee spiked with ginger.  You will feel a bit of ginger heat as you enjoy these, so they are perfect for cold weather runs in the winter , one of my favorite times to eat them.  Alas, as I mentioned, I am currently all out and we just got a foot of snow!!!

Peanut: This one actually tastes like fresh peanuts and has little tiny pieces of ground peanut in them. They are even better and more enjoyable that many similar chewy peanut candies out there in the marketplace.  Plus, they are good for you!!!  

The original flavor Gin Gin.  This one is still my favorite.
Spicy Apple:  This was the second flavor of Gin Gin that I ever tried.  It took me a little while to get use to it as I am not always a big apple/cinnamon type of guy, but it has definitely grown on me over the years to the point where I consider it one of my old standbys along with the Original Flavor Gin Gin. Similar to the coffee, this is another nice one to have on a cold winter run, especially if you like hot apple cider. The taste of delicious apples will great you as you enjoy this treat!

Double Strength: These are a popular one for me to start a run with as I can suck on the hard candy and get my juices flowing, especially if I am feeling a bit dehydrated.  I will almost always have a couple of these on me during a major race.  They pack a punch in the ginger meter, but it's so good to have something to enjoy like this, especially early on in the run/race.  They are also a great digestive aid in the first few miles in addition to a "throat lozenge".

My current stash of Gin Gins.  It's actually pretty low...I need more!!! 
Super Strength:  These pack 30% ginger in the candy!  They are also the only one that takes the form of a ginger caramel type candy.  You can suck or chew on them.  They are a bit smaller than some of the other flavors, but the punch they pack more than makes up for it.  As they melt in your mouth, you can actually get a feel for the ginger itself that is packed into the candy.  If you are new to ginger candy or to ginger as a main ingredient in any product, this might be a little over-powering at first, but you will learn to love it!

Original:  Why would I leave Original Flavored Gin Gins to last?  Usually most people review an "original" flavored something first and then go on to the other flavors.  I saved it for last because it is my favorite flavor and no wonder, according to The Ginger People's website it is , "America's #1 Selling Ginger Candy."  Literally three ingredients.  It's a special time during a long run when I pull out an original flavored Gin Gin.  Many times I take the other flavors with me instead because I don't want to go through my originals too fast.  I kind of like to hoard them!  (I'd probably do the same with the coffee flavored ones if my two teenage boys would stop taking them!!!)  I can't really describe them other than that they are delicious ginger chewy candy and they just feel right in my mouth and my stomach, especially mixed with a great trail run.  They taste great, they work for nausea, and they give me just 20 calories each, a nice little pick me up.  Plus, as with all the flavors, they are super easy to store and take with you where ever you go and for whatever you are doing.


Gin Gins are tasty and healthy candy for anytime use, but for me, definitely excel when I am out running on the trails!
As a disclaimer, and as I mentioned earlier, I am an Authentic Ginger Tastemaker for The Ginger People, and they have given me additional Gin Gins to try and review.  But, I also want to say this, even if I weren't an Authentic Ginger Tastemaker, and even before I was, I love these things!  Get yourself some, especially for long distance road or trail running.  If you find it hard to eat certain things after a period of time during a run or if you get nausea, Gin Gins might be perfect for you. Enjoy!!!