2017 Racing Season: Preview Shipyard Old Port Half Marathon



The Maine coast is a beauty! Photo courtesy of OldPort Facebook page.
Disclaimer: I received an entry to the Shipyard Old Port Half Marathon as part of being a BibRave Pro. Learn more about becoming a BibRave Pro (ambassador), and check out BibRave.com to find and write race reviews. 

Maine...there's a lot of memories for me in that state.  I lived in Westbrook and Windham, when I worked in Standish, long ago, all towns just to the west of Portland.  I use to take drives through Portland and on into Cape Elizabeth to the beautiful lighthouse so many see in pictures.  I volunteered in a youth center for a while in downtown.  Later, Maine was where my wife and I honeymooned and traveled to more than once.  Then a full sized Zinnecker family trip.  

Going back to run a half marathon in this lovely town will be a fun return.  But not only will it be a return to Portland, but a return to road running.  Certainly I run roads now, in order to get to trails, or on days when I cannot get to the trails, but before the local 5K in Walworth, NY, last summer, I hadn't run a road race since...2011?  I think that's right.  And though I've run several distances on the trails, from just a few K to 50K, I have only run one road half marathon, and that was back in 2009.

I am very thankful for the opportunity from BibRave to do this race, and after watching the course preview video, am looking forward to it.  It's always nice to go back to somewhere you enjoyed in the past, and I believe this will be a beautiful race with great views of Casco Bay and the Portland area.    

Want to join me?  Check out the race website at http:www.oldporthalfmarathon.com and save 10% with code bibrave10.  The race is July 8, 2017.  The course does look like it has some shade, plenty of water stops including some misting stations, views of the water, a run past the brewery sponsoring the race, beer at the finish line from Shipyard Brewery, plenty of flats, a few hills, and some nice downhills.  Check out the video at: http://www.oldporthalfmarathon.com/course-previews/

Hope to see you there!!! :)