2017 Racing Season: Preparations for the Shipyard Old Port Half Marathon, Portland, ME





Disclaimer: I received an entry to the Shipyard Old Port Half Marathon as part of being a BibRave Pro. Learn more about becoming a BibRave Pro (ambassador), and check out BibRave.com to find and write race reviews. 

Preparations for the Shipyard Old Port Half Marathon...how are they going you ask? Hmm...well...I am still fighting a continual and persistent case of plantar fasciitis.  I went to the chiropractor on Wednesday which seemed to help.  My last two runs, on Tuesday and Wednesday, (it's now Friday) both started with the first half mile basically being a torture-fest as my right heel screamed fire and pain at me to stop.  This morning I made the decision not to run again until next Tuesday to see if some downtime will help.  I will still have to work where I am almost constantly on my feet on hard floors, but maybe some stretching, icing, and rest will help it come back. I did an 11 mile run last week that went fine and I added in some bouldering over the weekend along with my kids.  That went well until I was hanging from a hold and while trying to swing to the next one, actually ripped the hold out of the bouldering cave...someone said it was brute strength...I noted it was more likely my brute weight...  I realized a couple of days later that the reason my upper right shin was on fire when I touched it was that when I fell, the hold was still in my grip and I must have slammed it against my leg when I dropped.  Ouch...

Other than that, I have a prep race in June set up as a test before the Old Port Half on July 8, 2017.  This will be a 10 mile trail race nearby and known as the Webster Trail Classic. (This gives me 1 race, 10 miles or longer, per month over the summer when you add in the A Midsummer Nights Madness Trail Half Marathon in August.)

The Old Port Half will be my first half marathon on the roads since September 2009.  The constant contact that I have from the race makes me believe it should be a pretty fun event. The food alone should be good with 2 Shipyard beers, pizza, ice cream, organic juices, and more.  The course map is below:



Believe it or not, I might actually have a problem with running a race that has this little of elevation change as I am use to running trail races with so much more.  Usually the hills are what help remind me to take it easy now and then, keeping something in reserve.  I have been running more roads this Spring, and several around here have some good hills, so hopefully I will be good, but I will definitely have to make sure I pace myself properly since road running and trail racing are very different.  I don't think a PR will be in the books, but hopefully I will finish with a respectable time.  I loved living in and around the Portland area long ago, so it will be pretty awesome to run around the area, including the Back Cove.

They recently voted on shirts for the race with option A winning.  The men's I believe has a rounded neck and the women's is more the scoop neck as seen below.  Neat images of the city for sure.




Well, I think that's all for now.  Hope to see some of you in Portland, ME on July 8, 2017.  It should be a great event! 




(BTW, if you are reading this on May 12, when I published it, prices increase tomorrow, so book your race tonight!)