2017 Racing Season: Preview Under Armour Vertical Challenge, Killington, VT



The map for the Vertical K Challenge in Killington, VT. Courtesy of www.uamtnrunning.com

Disclaimer: I received an entry to the Under Armour Vertical Challenge, Killington, VT, as part of being a BibRave Pro. Learn more about becoming a BibRave Pro (ambassador), and check out BibRave.com to find and write race reviews. 

As part of being a BibRave.com Pro, I have been waiting for a more local trail race that I can partake in to represent our great organization, and recently that came true.  The race is part of a 3 race series sponsored by Under Armour and takes place in Killington, VT, about 5 hours from where I live.  But, while I am excited to go to Vermont and do my first race there, I had a few concerns as I looked to decide upon which event(s) I would participate in at this beast of a race.

First, I had to get the time off.  This looked like it was going to be pretty slim, but as I just came off 8 days in a row, I think my boss had pity upon me and when I asked and told her what I was looking to do, she came back that it just might work out.  Praise God and thank you to my boss!

Second, I have a half marathon on the trails nearby here in Western New York the week after Vermont, and I want to be able to come back from Vermont and still race here in what is my favorite park to run in with lots of excellent trails.

Third, this meant that I needed to think about what event to do in Vermont, especially as I still have a case of PF.  The events on tap: 50K, Marathon, 1/2 Marathon, 10K, 5K, Vertical Challenge.  All of the events have significant gain according to the site, http://www.uamountainrunning.com/event-locations/killington with the two shortest events on Sunday morning, right before I would have to leave to come back. My contact said the initial possibilities were actually the 10K, 5K or Half.  I really wanted to do the Vertical Challenge, (and initially) maybe one of the shorter events on Sunday.  The more I thought about it though, racing a second time on Sunday right before going home and then a half the next weekend with all that gain, looked a bit too much.  I was finally given the go ahead to do the vertical challenge, so that is what I signed up for the other night.

YIKES!!!  Can you say 1507 ft of elevation gain in 1.25 miles. Am I insane!?!  I went out today to train in the park in which the half the following weekend is being held and ran 9 miles with 1460 ft of change, (728+/732-) and definitely felt that!!!  

I will definitely be quoting Philippians 4:13 to myself a lot over the next couple of weeks and looking to God for major strength!!!  (That verse reads: "I can do all things through him who strengthens me.)

Training today in Mendon Ponds and looking to get as much gain as I could training for the Vertical K in just over 2 weeks.